Wednesday, June 9, 2010

4 kids, a dog, a mom, and a spider

is what you would have seen walking down our street this morning!

We took a little walk to release a tarantula in the wooded area off the dead end just around the corner from our house.

Where did this tarantula come from? you might wonder. Well, last night Alexa said she saw something crawling in our backyard. Personally I thought she was playing a trick on Robbie. He went out to inspect though and started calling for me saying he thought it was a tarantula.

Now I have to pause here to say that despite Robbie's amazingly large amount of knowledge on animals, he often calls any spider bigger than a quarter a tarantula. With that in mind, I was not overly concerned about their find.

However, when I did make it out to the patio, sure enough a spider that definitely looked like a tarantula was hanging around the bottom of the basketball goal. It was black and hairy and (including its legs) was the size of a hamburger bun.

It was speedy, but I managed to trap it under a clear rubbermaid box for inspection and safe keeping. It wasn't too happy about that, but after everyone including Rob who wasn't home at the time had a chance to see it and Robbie's request to keep it for a pet was denied, we did take a walk down the street to release it this morning.

On our way home, Robbie wondered aloud as to whether it was a female and may have laid an egg sack in our yard. Nice!

(Sorry- no pictures! My memory card was full, and I didn't really think it was the worth the effort of clearing things off to get a shot of the spider.)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I LOVE it! Michelle might have asked if we could have kept it too! Sorry about the non-photo. :)

LIVE - LAUGH - LOVE