The kids will be back in school in about ten days. I was just looking on-line to see what the enrollment looked like for this year, and there have been some definite changes.
Some background before I continue- the kids attend a non-denominational Christian school that started up in the late 90s. When Robbie first started attending in 2006 as pre-K student, the school had grades pre-K thru 11. They graduated their first senior class of four students in 2008. This past May, they graduated their last (for the time being) senior class of four students. The school board decided to discontinue the junior/senior high portion of the school. The younger grades generally have a decent enrollment, but once the kids get to grade 8 many parents move them to the public junior high school . . . I assume mainly for the options of activities, sports, and classes. Anyway, many parents and teachers were upset about the change- some on a personal level, some on a grander scale of justice, blah, blah, blah.
As I looked at class lists, I noticed that some families are not coming back (some due to moving or financial reasons), but there are some that are not coming back out of principal as well as families that had kids in the junior/senior high as well as younger ones. There are some new families as well, but overall it looks like the numbers are down.
Back to my kids and their classes. Alexa's class looks about like I would expect it to. Her kindergarten class currently has ten kids; 5 girls, 5 boys. Robbie's class has twelve students (down from fifteen last year). Four kids left (all boys) and one new student (a girl) for a total of 9 girls and only 3 boys! Unfortunately one of the boys was his best friend; fortunately he is a ladies' man at school anyway, so he might not notice too much. I think he is most disappointed that his favorite friend from the grade ahead of him will not be back as he really enjoys playing football with him at recess.
I am sure all will be fine. It will be Alexa's first year of all day school. Robbie will be in second grade with a teacher he hasn't been around much with a new routine and expectations. It will be fun for them to get started and experience it all, but a big part of me wishes summer could just keep going and going and going!
No comments:
Post a Comment