Monday, September 28, 2009

Bugs - Bugs - Bugs

(S0, I really don't have time to be doing this right now, but I feel so badly that we haven't been sharing news very well, that I am going to type a quick post here before I dash off to make lunches, sweep, mop, fold laundry, and maybe get some church work done before I can't keep my eyes open anymore.)

BUGS 1
Five year old girl to family: Hey, come look at this spider.

Two boy siblings quickly run over to observe.

After the boys have had their fill, two year old girl decides she doesn't want to be left out and says she is coming to see too.

Five year old girl to two year old girl (in very manner-of-fact tone): Well, I already killed it now, but I guess you can come see half of it.


BUGS 2
Sunday morning Rob notices a praying mantis on the wall in our dining area. None of the kids notice it all day long, but at dinner he points it out as it is still in the same general area.

They ask him to catch it. Alexa wants to take it to school because they are talking about bugs in class. She also states, "I think it is a boy which is good, because Mrs. Jump already has a girl one in our room and now they can mate!"

Rob and I look at each other and wonder if she knows what this means. We know Robbie knows this word as he has used it often enough, but we have never heard her use it.

After dinner, Rob does catch the p.m. and puts it in a bug cage that Robbie has.

The plan- Robbie will take it to his class first since it is his cage, and then he will take it to Alexa's class and they can keep it for as long as they like.

Funny side note: While we were talking about the praying mantis at the dinner table, Cole stood up and struck a Kung Fu Panda pose because he knows "all about" praying mantises from the movie. I couldn't help but laugh out loud, but Rob stayed composed to not encourage such untimely displays of aggression.


BUGS 3
The bug cage did go to school this morning and made it rounds to the classrooms, but came back home at the end of the day. So when I found a grasshopper in our garage, I scooped it up and put it in the cage too. Less than five minutes later, the praying mantis had started devouring the grass hopper. Guess they aren't going to be friends after all.

Later, Robbie and Alexa started polling the fam (including Birdie) if they wanted to name the praying mantis "Long Legs" or "Killer". I think the vote is tied right now, so they are waiting for Rob to come home and place his vote to break the tie.

2 comments:

The Hunts said...

I say Killer!

Caitlin said...

I am extended family.......I vote Long legs.

LIVE - LAUGH - LOVE