Sunday, June 19, 2011

Animal Rescue Center

The kids have "rescued" an injured butterfly.  Part of one lower wing is missing which they noticed as it hopped around the yard a couple of days ago.  So, they collected it and are keeping it in Robbie's bug habitat box (seen here with some "pre-story" here).  They have collected flowers for the cage so it can have pollen.  They have added water and grapes (not sure if the grapes are good for it or not, but they thought it was worth a try) for additional nourishment.

The fun (or funny) part about all of this is that they have let the butterfly out to play in the backyard each day for an hour or two and  then collect it again and retun it to the cage.  The above picture was taken when the butterfly was out at recess today.  I am impressed that the butterfly is still alive and don't know how much longer it will last, but I guess they must be doing an okay job of taking care of it.

Also once today when I walked into the kitchen, the butterfly was on the kitchen floor.  The kids had left off the cover to one of the vents when they were outside and somehow the butterfly managed to sneak out through the open hole but didn't get very far. It has since been scooped up and returned to the bug box to see if it will make it another day.

I love these kids!

2 comments:

Nancy Kroll said...

I love those kids too! I sure do miss all of you.

I like the new wallpaper on the blog. Are you thinking about calling yourselves the "Irish" Hunts now?

Mom K

Lisa said...

What a nice animal to rescue! :)

LIVE - LAUGH - LOVE