Sunday, June 21, 2009

Blessed!

I would like to nominate our family as being blessed with the BEST DAD! Rob works many (many!) hours each week and has an unreliable schedule (which means he gets calls during dinner, in the middle of the night, at church, etc., for problems he has to go to tend to, among other things). He works hard all those hours too.

But when he comes home, his family is his priority.

Based on the stories I hear that other people know about, it is obvious we are not far from his mind even when he is at work.

It doesn't matter if he just spent 4 hours outside in 100+ degree weather for practice, if the boys want to play ball, he is out playing ball.

He helps his daughters feel pretty and treasured.

Rob is always encouraging all our children to do their best without pressuring them to be "the best".

He makes me feel special and is supportive and complementary of my position as the mom in our family.

He teaches our children about God, His love and forgiveness, and how that should affect their lives.

Rob prays with and for our children.

He goes to church with us every week that he is town, even if he only got to town a few hours before it is time to wake up and go to church.

He goes to Parent-Teacher Conferences with me.

Although he might not have a lot of patience for the arts and crafts types of projects :), he has the enduring patience to teach the step-by-step things like brushing teeth, tying shoes, riding a bike.

He was open to letting us get a dog even when he knew it would be easier to NOT have one.

He washes the dinner dishes when we have the pleasure of his company at dinner.

He calls home each day when he leaves work to see if we need anything.

He makes us all laugh and loves to laugh at (umm, I mean with) us as well.


I realize some of these features might qualify more for the "best husband" award, but when you are at our stage of life with many young children running around, the roles kind of all combine and overlap and it is hard to distinguish. Anyway, I just know none of us would trade the dad in our family for anyone or thing else!

As part of our gift to Rob, the kids and I wrote little notes of things we like about Dad (mine also included some encouraging quotes and Bible verses) that we put in a jar to send to work with him. He can read one each day, and we hope he feels as special and treasured as he makes us feel!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, ROB!

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Rob....You are an amazing Dad, but also an amazing brother. I am blessed as well! Hope you have/had a great day. Miss you and look forward to seeing you very soon. Hugs and kisses to the rest of the family!

The Hunts said...

Thanks Krista, you make my life as our kids dad so much fun. We are indeed blessed and I am so thankful that God allows me to be around such a wonderful family. I will do my best to lead this house with the help of God, but I know that it would be nothing without you. I love you and thank you for a wonderful Father's Day!

LIVE - LAUGH - LOVE