Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mantis Update

Mantis hanging upside down from her tree.



Mantis' new habitat.




Well, our new "pet" came home again from school. I told the kids if we didn't find her another bug to eat today, we would have to release her into her natural habitat. Alexa said it is a girl because it is light green, and boys are usually darker with some brown. This seems backwards to me when thinking about animal genders, so I am not sure that she is right on this one but we are going with it.

Anyway, the news we might have to release the mantis upset Alexa a great deal, so Robbie -the dutiful big brother that he is- wandered out into the backyard to find a bug. He caught a moth from somewhere in the flower garden and brought it in.

With some help from me, Robbie got the moth into the cage. The mantis didn't bother it for a few hours. However, I did a photo shoot this evening and that seemed to have awakened her apetite because as I was finishing, she went after the moth. Below is some video footage. (Sorry if you can't really tell what is going on.)


1 comment:

Caitlin said...

How cool! I will have to show the girls sometime tomorrow if we get a chance. Rachel really seemed to be studying the whole process intently. Thanks for sharing this neat experience.

LIVE - LAUGH - LOVE